BUILDING FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS
This program helps students in grades 1-12 achieve grade-level competency in reading and math through one-on-one attention and a structured, step-by-step curriculum. Frequent tests help ensure that a student has mastered the material in one lesson before moving on to the next. When students are guided at their own pace and engaged through fun and interesting activities, they gain academic skills and confidence in their ability to learn.
On average, after just 28 hours of FLOC tutoring, students gain one year in grade-level equivalency in both reading and math.
Served during the 2012-2013 school year, with 260 students regularly attending at the end of program, representing a within year retention rate of 83.6%.
Regularly attending at the end of the program, representing a within year retention rate of 83.6%.
Or 66.2% made at least one year improvement in reading and math. An additional 45 or 16.7% made at least six months improvement in reading and math%
- Language Reading Curriculum (Elementary)
- Wilson Reading Curriculum (Adolescent)
- FLOC Math Curriculum (All Students)
- Comprehensive approach, including phonics, vocabulary, reading comprehension, and writing
- Designed for intervention
- Individualized to each student’s level
- Concepts are reinforced through games & activities
- 12-step system
- Phonics-based approach
- Students learn how to read accurately and fluently
- Supplemented by “Reading to Learn,” which builds students’ vocabulary and reading comprehension
- 40-step system from place value to algebra
- Concrete, symbolic, and abstract methods of instruction
- Concepts are learned through worksheets and activities
SUMMER 2019 SCHEDULES
- Neighborhood Tutoring Program Summer Schedule at FLOC Headquarters (Pennsylvania Avenue SE)
- Neighborhood Tutoring Program Summer Schedule at The Line Hotel (Euclid Street NW)
ENROLL A STUDENT
To enroll a child in the Neighborhood Tutoring Program, please file the appropriate form on our student enrollment page.